SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE
- 9 Cups peeled and cut sweet potatoes
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk from the can
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 large pot of salted water
- 1 large mixing bowl
- 1 9”x13” casserole dish
- 1 – 1 ½ tablespoons of vegetable oil or cooking spray
- Rubber or silicone spatula
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons softened vegan butter
- ½ cup flour (all purpose or gluten free)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 medium mixing bowl
Add the sweet potatoes to the large pot of boiling salted water (enough water for the potatoes to be submerged) Boil 10-15 minutes or until fork tender.
Drain potatoes and return to the pot or the large mixing bowl.
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit and lightly grease your casserole dish.
To the potatoes add your coconut milk, sugar, vanilla, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
Using a hand mixer or potato masher, blend all the ingredients until well combined.
Spread your potato mixture evenly throughout the casserole dish and smooth out the top with your spatula.
In a medium mixing bowl stir together all the ingredients except the pecans. Mix together to form small crumbs. Now gently mix in the pecans.
Sprinkle this mixture evenly into your casserole dish.
Bake 35-45 minutes or until golden brown and edges are bubbling a bit.