Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 1 hr
Total: 1 hr 20 mins
Yield: 8 servings
Popular and spicy West African Chik’n and rice dish.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- ½ (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon Vegan Worcestershire sauce “Annie’s” or “Edward & Sons”
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 cups water
- 20 oz of “Morningstar” Chik’n strips or “Quorn” Chik’n cutlets sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 cup diced carrots
- ½ pound fresh green beans, trimmed and snapped into 1 to 2 inch pieces
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
Pour oil into large saucepan. Cook onion and Chik’n in oil over medium-low heat until brown.
Stir in stewed tomatoes and tomato paste, and season with salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, Worcestershire sauce and rosemary. Cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, stir in water and simmer for 30 minutes.
Stir in rice, carrots, and green beans, and season with nutmeg. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover, and simmer until the rice is cooked, 25 to 30 minutes.
Enjoy Your Rice!
Delicious Vegan Recipes
Other Kwanzaa Recipes to Enjoy!