GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE
- 2 pounds fresh or frozen green beans
- Large pot of salted water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vegan creamer (I used coconut/almond)
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened, unflavored soy, almond or cashew milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 6 ounces french fried onions
- Large cast iron skillet (10-12 inches) or casserole dish
If using fresh beans, trim the ends.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, then add the beans and cook for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. If you don’t have a 10 inch cast iron skillet, lightly grease a large casserole dish and set aside.
Over medium to high heat warm the oil in the large cast iron skillet.
Stirring occasionally now add the mushrooms and garlic and cook for 3-5 minutes until the mushrooms are soft.
Sprinkle the flour on top of the mushrooms, and slowly add the vegetable broth and stir until the mixture thickens. Add the vegan creamer, then the non-dairy milk, stirring frequently for about 5 minutes until thick and creamy. Add salt to taste. Remove from heat.
Add the green beans and 1/3 cup of the french fried onions to the skillet or casserole dish.
Top with the rest of the french fried onions, place the skillet or casserole dish in the oven and cook for 15-20 minutes, until the onions are crispy but not burnt. Serve immediately.