- ½ cup vegan butter
- pinch of salt if the vegan butter is unsalted
- 6 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 5 cups unsweetened coconut milk 3 cans
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 3 teaspoons onion powder
- 3 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon freshly gound black pepper
- 1 pound of elbow macaroni
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 9”x13” casserole dish
- 1 large pot of salted water (to boil macaroni)
- 1 colander
- 1 small to medium sized mixing bowl
Macaroni & Cheese Sauce
Melt your butter in a pot and then slowly add your flour while vigorously stirring to avoid lumps. Now add your coconut milk and vegetable stock, whisking continuously to avoid lumps.
Continue whisking until it starts to boil and then thicken. This will take a few minutes.
Note: It will also continue to thicken as it cools.
Remove this mixture from the heat and add in the dijon mustard, nutritional yeast, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt and pepper and whisk in. Now your sauce is ready, you can now prepare your macaroni.
Cook your elbow macaroni according to the package directions and then rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process then drain.
Add the cooked macaroni into the pot of sauce and toss until completely coated. Transfer all the macaroni and sauce to your 9”x13” baking dish and smooth down. Preheat your oven to 400°F.
Bread Crumb Topping
Add your bread crumbs, melted butter and a pinch of salt (if needed) to a small to medium mixing bowl and toss until completely coated.
Evenly sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture over the top of the macaroni and cheese sauce.
Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown and crispy.