CREAMY KALE AND POTATO SOUP
- 1 tbsp vegan margarine or rapeseed oil
- 1 small onion or medium leek (white only), peeled and sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, cubed (about 3 cups)
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg (plus extra for serving if liked)
- 2 bay leaves
- 28 fl oz vegetable stock
- 3 packed cups kale, spring greens, cabbage greens, collard or turnip greens, washed and chopped
- Slowly sweat the chopped onion or leek with the oil for five minutes over a low-ish heat. Add bay leaves and nutmeg and sauté for another minute then add the stock and potatoes. Bring to a boil then turn down to simmer until potatoes are soft (about 15 minutes). Add the kale, turn off the heat, and let the greens wilt in the heat until softened – about five minutes. Remove the bay leaves!
- Transfer soup to blender or food processor and blitz until completely smooth, like “green velvet”.
Tip: when making bigger batches of soup, use a minimum of stock to cook the ingredients, blend the soup, then add the remaining stock. If transporting it, add the stock once you reach the destination to avoid worrying about it spilling!