- 2 cups soymilk (I used light vanilla)
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1/3 cup maple syrup or agave*
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 – 4 1/2 cups flour (give or take)
- 1 shot quality espresso or strong coffee (2-3 T)
- 4 cups powdered sugar
Streusel Topping*: (optional)
- 3-4 Tbsp vegan butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2-3 Tbsp flour
- Bring soy milk, oil, maple syrup or agave, and sugar to a boil in a small sauce pan.
- Once boiling, remove from heat and let cool until lukewarm or 110 degrees F (30 minutes)
- Once cooled, stir in yeast and let set for 5-10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, add 4 cups of flour and salt, then add to wet mixture and stir, mixing well, then covering with a towel and letting rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Once doubled in size, add the remaining 1/2 cup of flour, (or until the dough is no longer incredibly sticky). Mix well and then let the dough sit for about 10 minutes.
- On a floured surface make about 2-inch balls and place them on a lightly greased cookie sheet, leaving room for expansion.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and cover with light towel while warming.
- Once preheated, bake for 10-11 minutes, being careful not to over bake as you don’t want the bottoms too brown.
- Prepare glaze and streusel while baking. Once donuts are done, let them cool slightly and then dunk in glaze and cover with streusel. I put the streusel on both top and bottom, and would recommend it for best flavor.
- Serve immediately for best result, or store in air-tight container for up to 2 days.
*Add more maple syrup or agave to achieve a sweeter donut, but I didn’t want mine to be overboard.
*For the streusel, you want a crumbly texture but not too dry or buttery. Add brown sugar and flour accordingly until you achieve your desired texture.
*Poking a hole in the middle of the donuts is optional for a more ‘traditional’ appearance, but I opted to not.
*Questions about substitutions, equipment, or troubleshooting? Check out our minimalist baker’s Recipe FAQ page.
*Adapted from namely marley.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1 of 12 donuts with glaze and streusel topping.